I'm Balaji Pandian — a computer scientist turned physician (in a few years). I've worked for a variety of startups and large companies doing everything from low-level embedded systems to web development. Also, I've published a few award winning iOS applications as well as a multi-disciplinary CS/Biochem paper.
I believe that there is an intersection between medicine and computer science that will truly revolutionize healthcare. Working for an EMS system and a hospital, I've seen the inefficiencies of poorly designed medical software. Improving routine physician software is only the tip of this iceberg. Augmented and robotic surgery, computational medicine, 3D-printed prostheses, smartphone based care, and so much more are just around the corner and I'm thrilled to be a part of it.
University of Michigan Medical School
M.D. Candidate (Expected Spring 2019)
B.A. in Computer Science (cum laude in field) - 2015
- Additional coursework in discrete mathematics, biology, and physics.
- Published author of CS/Biochem paper.
- Technical officer of on-campus student-run EMS service.
MCAT: 99% GPA 3.7
Harrison High School
High School Diploma - 2011
- National AP Scholar.
- Superintendent Student of the Year - 2009.
- 3rd place state-wide programming competition.
ACT: 99% SAT Physics: 100% SAT Chemistry: 100% SAT Math II: 100% GPA 4.0
Spring 2013 - Spring 2015
EMT / Technical Officer
CrimsonEMS is a student-run EMS agency (BLS) that serves the Harvard community.
- Nationally Registered (NREMT) + Massachusetts Licensed EMT.
- Developed complete scheduling, reference, records, and inventory web application.
- 1 out of 50 recipients in Massachusetts for the Massachusetts Call/Volunteer Firefighters Association Scholarship.
- Teaching fellow for EMT training class.
Fall 2012 - Fall 2014
Harvard University, Part-Time
Taught CS50: Introduction to Computer Science I (Fall semester, 2012) and CS61: Systems Programming and Machine Optimization (Fall semester, 2013 and 2014).
- Received Harvard University Certificate of Distinction in Teaching - Fall 2012.
- Presented a weekly problem solving lecture to a group of 15 students, held office hours to help students on homework, and graded assignments and exams.
- Averaged > 4.7/5.0 on end-of-semester student surveys.
Embedded Systems Engineering Intern
Square, Inc., Full-Time
Square, Inc. is a financial services, merchant services aggregator, and mobile payments company in San Francisco, CA.
- Developed critical parts of firmware for an ultra-low-power system under a significant time crunch.
- Lead developer for a full stack hardware debugger and protocol analyzer.
Web Developer and Cinematographer
Filmic Productions, Inc., Full-Time
Filmic Productions is a University of Michigan student-run film studio that creates shorts and videos for various clients.
- Directed multiple aerial shots that required use of a drone with a homebrew inertial stabilizer system.
- Made major creative and technical contributions to a publicity video and mobile website for the University of Michigan.
Researcher / Software Developer
Harvard University, Full-Time
Initially starting as a final project for a computer visualization class, I co-authored a CS/Biochem visualization web application.
- Published paper in peer-reviewed journal as 2nd author.
- Awarded an Honorary Mention for our submission into the "Data Contest" at the IEEE International Symposium on Biological Data Visualization 2013.
Independent iOS App Developer
Worked with a variety of platforms to develop 5 iOS applications during my summer vacation.
- One app received a 4.5 star rating and was featured in the top 100 apps within its category in over 7 countries including the United States.
Fall 2007 - Spring 2011
Captain / Lead Programmer
Harrison High School Robotics Team, Part-Time
- Finished 1st place at the international "Robofest" autonomous robotics competition.
- Won $10,000 grant from M.I.T. to develop autonomous robotic boat.
C (Including Embedded Applications), Python, Objective-C (Including iOS SDK)
C was the first language that I learned at the end of middle school. I've used C everywhere from embedded platforms to desktop applications and high performance subsystems. If I'm not looking for performance, my go-to language is Python. I've worked with a few common libraries including Selenium (Web Scraping), NumPy, SciPy, matplotlib, and TKinter. I've also published applications written in Objective-C for both iOS and Mac.
Adobe Creative Suite, Autodesk Maya, Unity3D
I've extensively used After Effects, Photoshop, and Premiere Pro in conjunction with Maya and Unity3D to create animated shorts, special effects, and 3D games. I have exposure to the other applications in the creative suite and can comfortably navigate through them.